Todays post is about the Goldfinch which I see on my local patch, normally in flocks of about 10.
The Goldfinch is a brightly coloured finch with a bright red face and yellow wing patch. Normally in flocks, you normally hear there chattering, twittering call and song before actually seeing them. There long fine beaks let them access otherwise inaccessible seeds from thistles and teasels. In winter many Goldfinches migrate as far south as Spain.
- Latin name is Carduelis Carduelis.
- You can see them all year round.
- They eat seeds and insects in summer.
- Goldfinches are highly sociable.
- They can be seen at feeding stations.