Warnham Nature Reserve

Yesterday I went to Warnham Nature Reserve

As it was sunny and warm there were many insects and butterflies around such as Common Blues, Skippers, Meadow Browns and Peacocks. Here are a couple of photos I took of the common blue although one of them looked a bit battered:

Common Blue Underwing

Common Blue
A Cricket also made an appearance as it posed to have its photo taken.

Cricket
The feeders were quiet, with only 6 species appearing- Robin, Goldfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch and Wood Pigeon.

Although in the hide that looks over the lake it was a bit busier with 9 species turning up. There was a pair of Mute Swans, Mallard as usual, Tufted Duck as well as 4 Grey Heron (2 were fishing) and Coot. There was also a Little Grebe and a Great Crested Grebe. In the distant reeds I could see a Reed Warbler flitting around. My highlight were a juvenile and male Kingfisher that kept flying around the lake, landing on a perch and then diving for fish. The juvenile then was fed the fish when the adult had made a successful dive and then they both flew off.


Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. I was there on Sunday! I saw three kingfishers but it was cloudy so the meadow wasn't very active. Great blog!

    David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      Thanks for the comment, do you regularly go to Warnham?
      Mya

      Delete
    2. Yes, every couple of weeks. It is not far from where I live. I really like the meadow area and the harvest mice in the café.

      David.

      Delete
  2. Me too! I didn't realise you were the same age as me :) How long have you been into wildlife and photography?

    Mya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just over two years. I was inspired by Springwatch and started to take photos of the bird feeder with my Mum's compact. How did you start?

      David

      Delete
    2. I've been into wildlife for about 4 years. I got into photography when I wanted to record the wildlife I had seen and also like you I was inspired by Springwatch. Now I have a Cannon 600D and I have started bird ringing.

      Mya

      Delete
    3. I started mainly with a good cheap compact before going onto a Nikon Coolpix P520 and I currently have A Nikon D3200. I have started putting two trail cams out at Buchan's heathland, (Target Hill).

      David

      Delete
    4. I live a few minutes away from Buchan Park and I've been up there lots of times! I have been thinking about getting a trail camera...

      Mya :)

      Delete
    5. I would really recommend getting one! They are great fun and show what happens when people aren’t around. They help you know what is in the area.

      David

      Delete
    6. Which brand is yours? I think I will put one on my birthday list ;)

      Mya

      Delete
    7. I have a LTL ACORN Ltl-5210a, however I think there are newer trail cameras in the LTL ACORN range. However there are clones out there that are not as good.

      David

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A few thoughts...

Have a wonderfully wild Christmas and a Happy New Year..