RSPB Volunteering

Yesterday I started my volunteer work at RSPB Pulborough Brooks. It consists of mostly practical work which benefits the habitats of the reserve which is what I wanted to do. I got there at 9:30 and was took around the visitor centre (most of it I had seen before!) including upstairs were the public can't go. Another good thing about doing volunteering is that I get to work in areas of the reserve that normally you wouldn't be able to go.

A group of 9 of us went down the road and stopped next to a river. This was were the invasive Himalayan Balsam was growing in a enormous amount. We had to pull and cut as much as we could of it. It took us nearly 5 hours to make a dent in the amount that was growing there. Hopefully this will decrease the amount of it there as hopefully we got it just before it was going to seed. During the time I saw a Green Woodpecker, Cinnabar Moth, a group of Swifts, 1 House Martin, a Kestrel and a Buzzard. We heard a Chiffchaff, Blackcap and as we worked closed to the river we heard the call of a Kingfisher. The Kingfisher must of been close because I heard it 'Plop' into the water for a fish. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warnham Nature Reserve

A few thoughts...

Have a wonderfully wild Christmas and a Happy New Year..