Ashdown Forest

Today I visited Ashdown Forest. It was very sunny and the views were lovely!

Firstly in the distance I heard the screaming call of a Green Woodpecker, then it flew from tree to tree. Then I also heard the call of a Great Spotted Woodpecker and it then landed on a branch right in front of me.

Great Spotted Woodpecker
Whilst walking through the heathland a Wheatear appeared, perched on the top of some gorse. After having lunch I could hear a Whitethroat which sounded as if it was quite close. Then the Whitethroat flew past me, carrying twigs in its beak, diving in amongst some vegetation. Watching it for a while it kept going back there with more twigs in its beak, it most likely had a nest there.

Whitethroat
I also saw Long-Tailed Tits in trees. Chiffchaffs continuously called most of the time I was there although I didn't actually see any. On the way back I saw a male and female Stonechat. The male was chasing a fly and came right up to me!




Lastly, in the trees I saw my first Tree Pipit (Identified by the people of twitter!)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half Term Birding and More...

First ringing session this year and my first goldeneye!

Definitely a Waxwing Winter!