Merry Christmas and a Happy, Wildlife-Filled New Year!

Hi everyone! It's the second day of winter, all though it doesn't look like it outside, and I haven't posted for a long time so here's an update on what I have been up to!

Although I haven't done a lot of wildlife-related things over the last few weeks, I did go to RSPB Pulborough Brooks last weekend and haven't got round to blogging about it. 


We started off by walking down to the hides, in the trees surrounding the path a group of Goldcrests made their way from branch to branch whilst a flock of Long-Tailed Tits acrobatically flew into the distant trees. Reaching the hide the usual culprits were on the lake, with Wigeon and Teal being the most numerous. Lapwing also squabbled on the grass, lifting into the air as I spotted a lone pair of Shelduck asleep on the water. A Mistle Thrush also hid amongst the grass to the side of the hide.

Reaching the viewpoint, a Peregrine sat in its usual tree, its feathers being ruffled by the growing wind. Whilst I watched this beautiful bird a Marsh Harrier glided past the large area of water in the corner of my eye. It hovered elegantly, diving down to catch its prey, this time it was unlucky. Amongst the pools of water were a sea of Wigeon, Teal, two pairs of Pintail and a few Little Egret. 

A Great White Egret had been sited at the reserve recently so I was hoping to see it. Then someone said they had spotted with their scope all the way on the other side of the wetland area! Quickly, I grabbed my scope and got a good view of it in flight until it landed behind a tree. That made my visit to the reserve!

I have also written a couple of articles for New Nature, a new e-magazine written by young people for young people. It will be coming out in January, visit its website: www.newnaturemagazine.wordpress.com or its Twitter: @NewNature_Mag 

Finally I would like to say a Big thank you to anyone who has read my blog or supported me in anyway, whether it be retweeting my tweets on Twitter or giving me bird ID help on social media! Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, wildlife-filled New Year! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Warnham Nature Reserve

A few thoughts...

Have a wonderfully wild Christmas and a Happy New Year..