Bird ringing at Knepp Estate

On Sunday morning I woke up at 3:45 to arrive at Knepp estate (one of the largest re-wilding projects in Lowland Europe) at 5:00 for a ringing session. I was really looking forward to it as I had never been to Knepp Estate before.


 After meeting with some of the ringing 'team' we started to put the nets up. Whilst doing so I heard the squawk of a Tawny Owl in the distance. 2 Great Crested Grebe where on the pond (Hammer Pond) next to us along with there chicks. A Cormorant also kept flying over. Overall I ringed quite a few Chiffchaff as well as a Dunnock, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Garden Warbler and 2 juvenile Blackbirds. It was also nice to practise my extracting (getting the birds out of the mist nets) because of the variety and amount of birds. Whilst extracting, James (@My_Wild_Life) spotted a Purple Emperor, my first in fact.
The extremely camouflaged underwing of a Purple Emperor 
One of my highlights from the session was a Juvenile Green Woodpecker which as we were doing a net round it flew in the net. As quickly as possible a couple of the ringers managed to carefully take it out of the net (without getting their fingers hammered!). Although I didn't ring it I was quite excited to be able to let it go. It was really amazing to see such a cool bird so close-up. It's beautiful eyes which were grey-blue and the detail in its feather were really noticeable.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half Term Birding and More...

First ringing session this year and my first goldeneye!

Definitely a Waxwing Winter!